November 27, 2010

Variety is the Spice of Life?

I think I'm starting to weird my parents out. I sent them a SissyKiss link, and told them adamantly that they MUST check out this unbelievably bizarre site. But it's not because I relate to it, or I'm interested in it in any shape or form, I'm just incredibly boggled and curious that someone could be this attracted to such an unusual fantasy.

We all know we're different. Preference and opinion are entirely subjective; how can one say green is prettier than purple? Well, maybe because it is... But truuuuly, it's not a right or wrong situation. There's just no way to defend such a thing. And, obviously, if we all had the same thoughts and taste and perspective, then life would be pretty gosh darn boring and we certainly wouldn't have the mixing of minds needed for cultural evolution and discovery. As the hyperactive midnight dorm skateboarder that lived above me  my freshman year said so wisely for our young blossoming minds (and potentially with mixed intentions), Variety is the Spice of Life.

On that note, I recently watched a surprisingly insightful movie titled, Strictly Sexual. A curious theme that touches on our mixed impressions of current day femininity (yahh, I may be looking into this a bit further than then the Director's intentions), this film sequentially uncovers layer by layer the often unnoticed progression of relationships, their individual subtleties and complexities. A simple, yet poignant story of human connection and growth, I really thought this was a wise tale hidden in a taboo cloak.

So while some may find adult baby sites distasteful, creepy or just plain freaky, I can't compare these peoples' fantasies in terms of my own reality. This is the world they're living in. The world they're attracted to. In the Showtime series, Dexter, the show thoughtfully dissects the cause and effect of nature and nurture, allowing you to form empathy rather than sympathy for a protagonist psychopath that wants to kill. I, myself, wanna craft, write, romance, travel, cook, talk, and learn, but kill is certainly not in my repertoire. But rather than scorn, ostracize and outcast this human being that has been nurtured to have these urges, this show analyzes this character's angst, follows his growth and integration, and creates the awareness among us normal folk that you work with the person's design rather than try to change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment