December 04, 2010

REJOICE!

SO happy right now. I'm working with a wonderful gentlemen that has community access needs. Wanting simple companionship, as he lives alone, we went to the local Human Society to see if he could adopt a cat. A kind man that wants what most living things do, LOVE, he explained to the adoption manager what he was looking for in a pet and she acquainted us with a lovely four year old kitty that had been there the longest out of the 40 cats in the shelter.

We went into a small, concrete room and there, the magic happened. The cat nuzzled her delicate face on his leg, and he was smitten. After giddily signing all the adoption forms, the adoption manager came to brief us on the roles and responsibilities of pet ownership. It was then that we were struck with a barrier of haves and have nots. She said that it could cost up to $1000 a year to have a cat. Immediately, my friend said that it wouldn't be possible and we left. Distraught, he said all he wanted was to have a cat and be the best caretaker he could be. I dropped him off at his house, and drove back to my roommate filled home feeling his despondency amidst all my comradery.

So here I am now. In Uncommon Grounds, a rustic, artsy, lively cafe that sits cozily in it's Church Street spot. Soft lady jazz cushions the barista sounds and friends giggle over lattes on weekend romances. And I just got news that has given me more energy than my Aztec hot cocoa. My friend that I went to the Humane Society with, just called and said that he spoke to his friend and went over his finances and determined that he can in fact adopt the cat. He said that he just called to tell me the good news.

This is why I want to work. Because by simply creating access and transportation for this man, he is now, on his own, building a more fulfilling life for himself. It's amazing how easy it is to help, it's just a matter of garnering the energy up to do it. I think we need these little victories in life to keep fueling the fire and revealing to us how important our impact can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment